Benefits of installing a residential elevator
- One major benefit of these elevators, as discussed above, is that it helps increase accessibility for the elderly and physically challenged people. If they use wheelchairs to move around the house, elevators help them move from first floor to the second on their wheelchair. Residential elevators save the pain and energy that is spent while climbing the stairs. They offer an independent and dignified way to these people to freely move around in their home.
- Another benefit is that these elevators increase the value of your home. They are a long-term investment that give you the opportunity to reap the benefits of increased property value.
- Residential elevators are a great way to improve safety in your home. If you have children or elderly people in your home, there is always a risk that they may trip down and get injured while using the staircase. Elevators provides them with a platform on which they can travel safely without having to worry about any such risks.
- Does your home have enough space?Although the footprint of home elevators has been considerably reduced over the years, the fact that an elevator still needs a significant space for installation cannot be neglected. Homeowners usually don’t realize this which lead to complications later. For the installation of elevator, you need a proper floor plan and design so that your elevator isn’t limited to certain parts of your house and a suitable place is chosen for it to be installed. There are various other electrical and structural elements that need to be taken into consideration before adding a home elevator.The space requirements are usually an issue when you have to add an elevator in your existing home. It is because in this case you have to make some site modifications and make space for the elevator in a way that it provides access to the entire home and does not ruin the aesthetics of your home. Elevators also need additional area for machine closet and sufficient structural support for the shaft way. So you have to check if your home has enough and suitable space for the elevator to be installed without involving any major modifications. Otherwise, there are many other substitute options like inclined platform lifts and floor elevators that can be considered.
- What is your budget?This is probably the most important question to ask before considering residential elevators as an option. The price of elevators may have declined over the years, but they’re still quite expensive and unaffordable for some people. Once you’ve decided your budget, you have to check which types of elevators are affordable for you and which are not. There are various types of residential elevators available in the market today, each with their own pros and cons. So you have to shortlist them according to your budget first, and then you can pick one according to your needs and preferences. Also, when you check the cost of an elevator, don’t only consider its upfront cost but also its installation and maintenance costs. It is because there are a few elevators that have a low upfront cost, but their maintenance costs are very high; they may look cheaper first but actually they’re more expensive.
- How much time will the installation take?Installation of a home elevator can require additional money and time due to unexpected complications. it can include some seriously invasive construction work than can take up to weeks to be completed. So deciding to install an elevator in your home means dust, noise, and workers in your space till the construction process it completed.